Sunday, January 15, 2017

1.1.14 Eng



♪ That's where the covers go blue ♪. And we get to wear uniforms. No more having people check you out to see what jeans you're wearing 'cause everyone's dressed alike in boring clothes and just there to learn. Okay, there's academic-minded and then there's Amish. -  Funny. - Thank you! So, I told my mom you're changing schools. - Was she thrilled? - The party's on Friday. I got to go. I have to have a pre-hayride cup of tea with a future doctor. How do I look? Korean? - Spitting image. - Good.  Bye. Bye. God! You're like Ruth Gordon just standing there with a tannis root. Make a noise. Rosemary's Baby.

 - Yeah. - Well, that's a great movie. You've got good taste. Are you moving? No, just my books are. My family just moved here from Chicago.  Chicago? Windy. Oprah. Yeah. Yeah, that's the place.  I'm Dean. Hi. Oh, Rory. Me. That's-that's me. - Rory. - Well, Lorelai technically. - Lorelai, I like that. - It's my mother's name, too. She named me after herself. She was lying in the hospital thinking about how men name boys after themselves. So why couldn't women? She says her feminism just kind of took over. Personally, I think a lot of Demerol also went into that decision. I never talk this much. - Well, I better go. - Oh, sure. - I have to go look for a job. - Okay, good.

Vocabs

The Amish (/ˈɑːmɪʃ/; Pennsylvania Dutch: Amisch, German: Amische) are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships with Swiss Anabaptist origins. They are closely related to, but distinct from, Mennonite churches.

thrilled  adjective  uk /θrɪld/ us /θrɪld/

B2 extremely happy about something:
[ + that ] I was thrilled that so many people turned up to the party.
 
 A tannis root is a root of a fictional herb that is enclosed in a locket in the move the 1968 movie, "Rosemary's Baby." In the movie, the tannis root is enclosed in a locket of a character named Terry, which was given to her by the Castevets. The tannis root was described as being mysterious, smelly and noxious.
 
The definition of Demerol is a brand name for pethidene, a narcotic pain reliever.
 
pethidine ˈpɛθɪdiːn/noun
Medicinenoun: pethidine
  1. a synthetic compound used as a painkilling drug, especially for women in labour.
  
The Oprah Winfrey Show, often referred to simply as Oprah, is an American syndicated tabloid talk show that aired nationally for 25 seasons from September 8, 1986 to May 25, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois.
 
 

0 comments:

"If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." - John Assaraf"
1 332 333