Saturday, January 28, 2017

1.1.16



Transcript:

Hey, how did you know I was reading Moby Dick? - I've been watching you. - Watching me?
I mean, not in a creepy, like, "I'm watching you" sort of way. - I just, I've noticed you. - Me? - Yeah. - When? Every day. After school you come out and you sit under that tree there and you read. Last week it was Madame Bovary. This week it's Mody Dick. - But why would you -- Because you're nice to look at. And because you've got unbelievable concentration.

what? Last Friday these two guys were tossing around a ball and one guy was nailed in the face. I mean, it was a mess, blood everywhere, the nurse came out. The place was in chaos, his girlfriend was all freaking out and you just sat there and read. You never even  looked up. I thought, I have never seen anyone read so intensely before in my entire life. I have to meet that girl. Maybe I just didn't look up because I'm unbelievably self-centered. Maybe, but I doubt it. - Did I ask if you like cake? Yeah, you did. Oh, 'cause they have really good cake back there.

So, you were late getting home tonight. Yeah, I went to the library. -Oh. I forgot to tell  we're having dinner with your grandparents tomorrow night. - We are? - Mm-hmm. Yeah. But it's September. - So? - What holiday's in September? - It's not a holiday thing. - It's just dinner, okay? - Fine, sorry. Red meat can kill you. Enjoy. So, I finished hemming your skirt today.

Vocabs

creepy  adjective

uk /ˈkriː.pi/ us /ˈkriː.pi/ informal
strange or unnatural and making you feel frightened:
a creepy film
a creepy smile

Madame Bovary (1856) is the French writer Gustave Flaubert's debut novel. The story focuses on a doctor's wife, Emma Bovary, who has adulterous affairs and lives beyond her means in order to escape the banalities and emptiness of provincial life.
 Image result for Madame Bovary

toss  verb uk ​ /tɒs/ /todds/ us ​ /tɑːs/ /tarrs (s) /
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/toss
toss verb (THROW)

C2 [ T usually + adv/prep ] to throw something carelessly:
He glanced at the letter and then tossed it into the bin.
The bull tossed him up into the air.
[ + two objects ] Andrew tossed him the ball.


toss verb (MOVE)

[ T ] If you toss your hair or a part of your body you move it up and back suddenly:
She tossed her head in annoyance.
She tossed back her hair.

nail          verb (CATCH)  uk /neɪl/ us /neɪl/
[ T ] slang to catch someone, especially when they are doing something wrong, or to make it clear that they are guilty:
The police had been trying to nail those guys for months.


intensely adverb us ​ /ɪnˈtens·li/

in a strong or extreme way, or in a way that shows a lot of effort:
intensely personal songs
He lives every aspect of life intensely.

ask    verb

uk /ɑːsk/ us /æsk/

ask verb (QUESTION)


B1 [ I or T ] to put a question to someone, or to request an answer from someone:
[ + two objects ] She asked me a question.
She asked a question about Welsh history.
She asked me about Welsh history.
She asked about Welsh history.
[ + question word ] I've no idea what time the train leaves. Ask the guard whether he knows.
I asked the guard the time of the train's departure.
I asked when the train would leave.
[ + speech ] "What time does the train leave?" I asked. 

hem noun [ C ] uk ​ /hem/ us ​ /hem/

​ the edge of a piece of cloth, such as the bottom edge of a skirt or dress, that is folded over and sewn so that it does not develop loose threads:
I took the hem up/let the hem down.


hem verb [ T ] uk ​ /hem/ us ​ /hem/ /hem (ma)/-mm-


to sew a hem on a piece of clothing or cloth:
I need to hem those curtains.  


0 comments:

"If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." - John Assaraf"
1 332 333