Saturday, April 1, 2017

The business of English Can I help you? Ep 11 Part 2



Transcripts:

 Often it's not convenient to speak to someone straight away. 'If he's available' really means, 'If he wants to speak to me at the moment.'

Here's some useful phrases for asking for someone on the phone:

Is Mr Wilson available please?
Could I speak to Mr Wilson if he's available?
Could you put me through to Mr Wilson?
I'd like to speak to Mr Wilson if possible please.

So we can say:  I'd like to speak to Mr Wilson, or Could I speak to Mr Wilson? and If he's available, or If possible. And you always add please. And another phrase is: Could you put me through please? The receptionist says: "I'll just see if he's available," then, "hold the line please". But Mr Wilson isn't available, so this is what she says: I'm sorry, Mr Wilson's in a meeting at the moment. 'In a meeting' is code for it's not convenient for him to talk at the moment.' He may be in a meeting, but he could also be out, or doing something else.

Here's some phrases to practise, that can be used for this situation.

I'm sorry, he's in a meeting at the moment.
I'm sorry, he's not available at present.
I'm sorry, he's out of the office at the moment.

And here's one not to use.

I'm sorry, he's busy.
Too busy to talk to me obviously.

To say someone can't talk because they're busy, suggests that your call is not important. But the receptionist knows what to say, and to ask if there's a message.

May I take a message.


Credits: A+




0 comments:

"If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." - John Assaraf"
1 332 333