Saturday, October 8, 2022

3:30ish

 If someone says, "I'll be there at 3:30ish" does the "ish" include any time before 3:30, or only after 3:30?


“ish” translates roughly to “about” or “approximately.” 3:30ish spans the period from “a short time before 3:30” to “a short time after 3:30.”


It’s common to say something like, “I’ll be there 3:30ish, depending on traffic.” If I leave enough time to account for heavy traffic, but the traffic turns out to be very light, I may very well arrive earlier than 3:30


-ish suffix (QUITE)

used to form adjectives to give the meaning to some degree; fairly:

He had a sort of reddish beard.

She was oldish - about 60, I'd say.

We'll start at sevenish (= about seven o'clock).

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/ish

0 comments:

"If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." - John Assaraf"
1 332 333