Saturday, February 4, 2017

1.1.17



Transcript:

A grunt of acknowledgement might be nice. I don't understand why we're going to dinner tomorrow night. What if I had plans? You didn't even ask me. If you had plans, I would've known. How? You would have told me. I don't tell you everything. I have my own things. Fine, you have things. That's right. I have things. Hey, I had dibs on being the bitch tonight. Just tonight? What's wrong with you? I'm not sure I want to go to Chilton. What? The timing is just really bad. The timing is bad? Bus ride to and from Hartford, it's like 30 minutes each way. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Plus, I don't think we should be spending that money right now. I mean, I know Chilton's got to be costing you a lot. Oh, you have no idea. Use that money towards buying an inn with Sookie. What about college? How about Harvard? We don't know that I can't get into Harvard if I stay where I am. Okay, enough. Enough of the crazy talk, okay? I appreciate your concern but I have this covered. - I still don't want to go. - Why? Because I don't. I have to get out of here. We have to pay first.

[music] One-two-three. One-two-three. One-two-three.  It's a waltz, ladies. 'Susie, do you have to tinkle? Then uncross your legs, darling. Oh, Rory, good. I think I found a job for your male friend. What male friend? They need a stock boy at the supermarket. I already talked to Taylor Doose about him. You just send him around tomorrow. Okay, thanks.

Vocabs.


grunt verb
[ I ] uk ​ /ɡrʌnt/ us ​ /ɡrʌnt/ //g r arr n t/

(of a pig) to make a low, rough noise:
The pigs were grunting contentedly as they ate their food.

(of a person) to make a short, low sound instead of speaking, usually because of anger or pain:
He hauled himself over the wall, grunting with the effort.
[ + speech ] "Too tired," he grunted and sat down.

grunt
noun [ C ] uk ​ us ​

Loud grunts were coming from the pigsty.


http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/grunt


grant noun [ C ]


uk ​ /ɡrɑːnt/ us ​ /ɡrænt/ //gr aa nt/


B1 an amount of money given especially by the government to a person or organization for a special purpose:


a student/research grant

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/grant


acknowledgementnoun [ C ]


also acknowledgment uk ​ /əkˈnɒlɪdʒmənt/ us ​ COMMUNICATIONS

a letter or email to say that you have received something that someone sent to you:

I applied for five jobs, but only got three acknowledgements.

acknowledgeverb [ T ]

uk ​ /əkˈnɒl.ɪdʒ/ us ​ /əkˈnɑː.lɪdʒ/

C1 to accept, admit, or recognize something, or the truth or existence of something:

[ + -ing verb ] She acknowledged having been at fault.

[ + that ] She acknowledged that she had been at fault.

You must acknowledge the truth of her argument.

Historians generally acknowledge her as a genius in her field.

[ + obj + to infinitive ] She is usually acknowledged to be one of our best artists.

They refused to acknowledge (= to recognize officially) the new government.

He didn't even acknowledge my presence (= show that he had seen me).

The government won't even acknowledge the existence of the problem.


dibs noun [ plural ]

uk ​ /dɪbz/ //dib b'z // us ​ /dɪbz/ mainly US informal


dibs on sth

a right to have or get something from someone, or to use something:

The current owner might have first dibs on buying the rest of the property.

UK Dibs on the front seat!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/dibs

waltz   noun [ C ]

uk ​ /wɒls/ us ​ /wɑːls/ //warl ss//

a formal dance in which two people holding each other move around a large room, turning as they go, or a piece of music with three beats in a bar written for this style of dancing


http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/waltz

tinkle verb [ I ]

us ​ /ˈtɪŋ·kəl/


to make light, ringing sounds:
The wind chimes tinkled in the breeze.
a child’s word Tinkle also means to excrete urine.


tinkle

noun [ C usually sing ] us ​ /ˈtɪŋ·kəl/

We heard the tinkle of ice as he stirred the lemonade.


excrete verb [ I/T ]

us ​ /ɪkˈskrit/
biology to get rid of waste from the cells or from the body


0 comments:

"If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." - John Assaraf"
1 332 333